US Army Corps of Engineers
North Atlantic Division

STURGIS final decommissioning and dismantling
A piece of the STURGIS sits on land after the final water piece of the vessel was removed. After serving in World War II, the STUGIS was converted into the world’s first floating nuclear plant in the 1960’s, housing the MH-1A nuclear reactor. After being shut down in 1976, the STUGIS’s formal decommissioning effort began in 2012 and was completed in summer of 2018 with the safe removal of all components of the deactivated nuclear reactor and associated radioactive waste that was formerly aboard the STURGIS.

Download Image: Full Size (3.97 MB)
Photo by: Becca Nappi |  VIRIN: 190315-A-HF386-1002.JPG