The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) strives to protect, sustain, and improve the natural and man-made environment of our Nation, and is committed to compliance with applicable environmental and energy statutes, regulations, and Executive Orders. Sustainability in the North Atlantic Division will support the Army and the nation in achieving our energy security and the goals listed below in a manner that increases efficiency, optimizes performance, eliminates unnecessary use of resources, and protects the environment. The North Atlantic Division shall prioritize actions that reduce waste, cut costs, enhance the resilience of Federal infrastructure and operations, and enable more effective accomplishment of its mission.
In achieving this mission, the USACE must contribute to the national welfare and serve the public by providing quality and responsive services to the Nation, the Army, and other customers in a manner that is environmentally, economically, and socially sustainable, and that focuses on public safety and collaborative partnerships.
Our central goals in the North Atlantic Division include:
- Achieve and maintain annual reductions in building energy use and implement energy efficiency measures that reduce costs.
- Meet statutory requirements relating to the consumption of renewable energy and electricity.
- Reduce potable and non-potable water consumption, and comply with storm water management requirements.
- Utilize performance contracting to achieve energy, water, building modernization, and infrastructure goals.
- Ensure that new construction and major renovations conform to applicable building energy efficiency requirements and sustainable design principles.
- Consider building efficiency when renewing or entering into leases; implement space utilization and optimization practices; and annually assess and report on building conformance to sustainability metrics.
- Implement waste prevention and recycling measures and comply with all Federal requirements with regard to solid, hazardous, and toxic waste management and disposal.
- Acquire, use, and dispose of products and services, including electronics, in accordance with statutory mandates for purchasing preference, Federal Acquisition Regulation requirements, and other applicable Federal procurement policies and
- Track and report on energy management activities, performance improvements, cost reductions, greenhouse gas emissions, energy and water savings, and other appropriate performance measures.
Consistent with this mission, the North Atlantic Division supports all Executive Orders pertaining to federal agencies’ compliance with statutory requirements related to energy and environmental performance.
The North Atlantic Division is implementing efficiencies for improving energy and water consumption at our civil works and military projects. We are doing this through operational changes, use of hybrid vehicles, improving lighting and HVAC systems, installation and development of renewable energy, installation of solar, geothermal, wind turbines and more efficient mechanical and electrical systems to meet our sustainability goals.